Jamvat Jamaican Scholarship Program Application Process
Table of Contents Hide
The term JAMVAT stands for Jamaica Values and Attitudes. The Jamvat Jamaican Scholarship Program assists students who have been accepted into a recognized institution in Jamaica but are unable to afford tuition costs owing to a lack of funds. These students, however, are not only offered a scholarship, but also the chance to give back to the state by completing 200 hours of community service.
The JAMVAT program has two goals: students participate in community service, increasing their civic consciousness, and the government covers 30% of the student’s tuition costs, which must not exceed $350,000 per year. To be eligible for the 30% tuition award, JAMVAT members must perform 200 or more volunteer hours before or at the end of the program.
Eligibility Criteria for the JAMVAT JAMAICAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
- Jamaican Citizen up to 18 years of age and not above 35 years old (on or before December 31) of the year of application.
- An only applicant pursuing their first undergraduate course of study on a full-time basis are eligible
- The higher institution which offered the applicant admission must be accredited by the University Council of Jamaica
- Applicants shall be pursuing courses accredited by the University Council of Jamaica
- Applicants shall have attained FULL matriculation. Students enrolled on bridging, preliminary or
- articulated programs DO NOT qualify for assistance.
- Applicants shall be unemployed at the time of the application
- Applicants who are beneficiaries of the Student Loan Bureau (SLB) are eligible for assistance
- Applicants must obtain a (B) average or Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 in high school to be eligible for the scholarship
- The scholarship cannot be deferred to the next academic year, the recipient must utilize financial assistance the same year it was granted.
- Only applicants who perform a minimum of 200 hours of voluntary service at a Government or non-profit organization are considered for the grant
- Academic excellence is expected from the applicants. Thus, the recipient of the scholarship cannot repeat a grade due to academic failure.
- Applicants who have benefited from three (3) disbursements of financial assistance under the
- JAMVAT programs are not eligible.
- Applicants should be in need of financial assistance.
Documents Required to Apply for the JAMVAT Scholarship Program
- A completed application form. Download the application form here
- Acceptance letter for new students (the letter shouldn’t be older than 6 months). For returning/continuing students, a Status Letter (No older than 6 months)
- A Valid ID/certified copy of the Birth Certificate
- Transcript (No older than 6 months) for returning students
- Statement of accounts/Tuition letter
- Passport size picture
- Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)
How to Apply for the JAMVAT Scholarship Program
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, then go ahead and download the application form:
- Fill the application form with accurate details
- Attach the documents listed above. (have it in mind that the documents attached are depended on whether you are a new student or returning student. For instance, while new students are required to attach an acceptance letter, returning students should attach a status letter)
- Send to via mail to:
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Information Tertiary Unit, Building three
- 4 National Heroes Circle,
- Kingston 4
Jamvat Scholarship Application Form
The application form is obtainable here. Note that incomplete applications will not be processed.
Benefits of the JAMVAT scholarship program
- JAMVAT pays 30% of TUITION ONLY to its recipient.
- A one-time stipend of $10,000.00 is paid to students who successfully complete the required 200 hours of voluntary service
- Students benefit from the voluntary service which increases their awareness of civic/civil responsibilities.
- Students gain experiences, check their status and interact with speakers on matters of national interest.
- Students contribute to the community and national development through volunteerism.
- Students also benefit from real-world professional experience.
Jamvat Scholarship Deadline
JAMVAT will be accepting application forms for the 2020/2021 academic year on Wednesday, April 1, 2020, through to June 30, 2020.