Scholarship in Canada for International Students in 2022
Table of Contents Hide
- What Scholarships are Available in Canada for International Students?
- Scholarship in Canada for International Students
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program
- Scholarship in Canada for International Students – York University International Student Scholarship Program
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
- Scholarship in Canada for International Students – Carleton Prestige Scholarships
- Scholarship in Canada for International Students – Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
Canada’s reputation as a global leader in education and research is well deserved. The country has consistently ranked number one for quality of life and ease of doing business. It has been ranked the best place to live in North America for several years running by MoneySense magazine. These factors have made Canada an increasingly popular destination for international students seeking higher education abroad. However, there are still some important things to consider before deciding where to enroll in college or university. This article will guide to secure one of the best Scholarship in Canada for International Students.
What Scholarships are Available in Canada for International Students?
The Canadian Government offers several scholarships to international students. These include:
Undergraduate Scholarships are available for domestic and international undergraduate students and are awarded based on academic achievement and financial need. The amount of the scholarship depends on how much you can contribute to your tuition costs while in Canada, but it is typically less than $1 million US annually (about $5K).
Graduate Study Scholarships: These are offered through specific programs within the Canadian Government’s economic development arm, Invest in Canada, which offers grants or loans based on financial need and academic performance—including those who enroll at one of their partner institutions around the world!
Scholarships are open to students of any nationality. You do not have to be a Canadian citizen to apply for scholarships, and you can apply for scholarships from other countries, even if you are not a citizen of that country. If your home country does not offer any scholarship opportunities for international students, you must also apply for these awards from your home country.
Canada’s high-quality education and low tuition have helped make its universities popular with international students in recent years, but its scholarship opportunities also deserve a closer look.
Scholarship in Canada for International Students
There are many different scholarships available in Canada for international students. Let’s take a look at each of them.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program
The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program is provided through Toronto’s University of Toronto to its international students to recognize their academic achievements and the ability to think outside the box. The scholarship is given to students entering the undergraduate program at Toronto’s University of Toronto. Each year, the university chooses the 37 Lester B. Pearson International Scholars.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program applies to all UToronto UG programmers. The application must be submitted by the school only. Each school can only nominate one student each year.
The selection process largely depends on academic results, references, and the SOP provided by applicants. Preference is given to candidates who demonstrate leadership skills at their schools.
Only first-year students applying for UG programs at the institution will be qualified to apply for this scholarship. Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program. In addition, the applicants must meet certain conditions of eligibility which are listed below:
- A student from outside Canada (i.e., an international student who is not a Canadian) has a Canadian Student visa.
- Show a certain amount of originality in your thoughts and imagination in the school and the community.
- Achievements in academics and participation in artistic activities
- Show enthusiasm for learning and acquiring new techniques
- Leadership qualities that demonstrate leadership
- In the last year of secondary school at the time of the application
- Set to begin the UG program at the university in September 2022.
Suppose a student is currently enrolled in postsecondary studies or is scheduled to begin classes before their studies at U of T in another postsecondary school. In that case, they are not eligible for the scholarship.
Students that meet eligibility requirements must fill out the application form to be considered for the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program. Potential applicants need to follow the steps listed below to apply for this scholarship offered to them by the University of Toronto:
- Be nominated by your school to be considered for The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the U of T. Certain schools aren’t verified by the university. Therefore they need to apply to participate in the scholarship program.
- Fill out an application to be admitted to UToronto for the start of your studies in 2022. Only applications submitted before the deadline date will be considered.
- Once you submit the application to be admitted to U of T and receive a scholarship nomination, you must complete the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program application.
- Reference letters
- Updated Resume
- Statement of intention
- A sample of work written
- GRE scores
Scholarship in Canada for International Students – York University International Student Scholarship Program
York University Scholarship is an undergraduate scholarship that is fully funded for international students. The scholarship awards the winners a salary of $35,000 annually to help them complete their undergraduate studies in Canada. The total value of the award is $140,000.
York University is a public research university located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is the third-largest Canadian university. York University has approximately 52,300 students with 7,000 faculty members and staff and 295,000 alumni across the globe.
It has 11 faculties which include its Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies, Faculty of Science, Lassonde School of Engineering, Schulich School of Business, Osgoode Hall Law School, Glendon College, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Health, Faculty of Environmental Studies, Faculty of Graduate Studies and the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design (formerly the Faculty of Fine Arts) and 28 research centers.
Candidates whose first language isn’t English are typically required to prove their ability to speak English at a higher degree required by universities.
To be eligible for the York University Scholarship, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Understand English well. Students whose primary language isn’t English generally have to prove their competence in English at the upper degree required by the university.
- Have a minimum GPA of 7.80
- Be in good academic standing.
- Be past their first academic year.
- Are international students (studying at York with an approved Study Permit and paying international fees)
- Be registered and work towards one of the bachelor’s degrees.
- Be enrolled in classes at the time of applying.
Please follow the next steps to apply for the York University International Student Scholarship Program:
- Accept admission to the bachelor’s degree program offered at York University.
- Fill out an online submission form to apply for the award.
- Send one of the following files:
- Reference letters
- Personal statement
- English Proficiency Certificate
- Submit your application
University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a world-class learning, teaching, and research center. It is regularly ranked among the top 20 private universities around the globe and recently ranked as North America’s largest international university. Since 1915 the motto of our university, Tuum Est (It is Yours), has been an expression of our commitment to attract and support people who are driven to create a better world. This is why UBC students, faculty, staff, and students are constantly seeking to innovate and push the boundaries of what is normal and place UBC at the cutting edge of learning, discovery, and involvement.
To be eligible to be considered for Killam Doctoral Scholarship funding:
The applicants must have completed no less than 24 hours of Ph.D. research at the time of the beginning date of the award. So, those who apply for the 2022-2023 competition should have completed not more than 24 years of postdoctoral studies by 1st September 2023.
- Potential for research and capability
- Research ability and potential
- Research proposal quality
- Specific, targeted, and practical investigation question(s) as well as objective(s)
- A clear explanation of the proposed method
- the importance of and anticipated contribution to research
- Relevant education, like the academic curriculum, live experience, and traditional methods of teaching
- Research experiences and accomplishments in relation to the applicant’s current stage of the study, live experiences, and knowledge systems
- Contributions’ quality and how far they improve research. Contributions could include papers, patents, reports, posters, abstracts, monographs, presentations, creative outputs, knowledge translation outputs, community-based products, etc.
- The demonstration of sound judgment and the ability to think in a critical manner
- Demonstration of ethical and responsible research includes an honest and thoughtful investigation and rigorous analysis, dedication to safety, the diffusion of research findings, and compliance with professional standards.
- Inspiring research, innovation, ingenuity, independence, active participation in the local community, and community outreach
- The capacity or ability to convey technical, theoretical, or scientific ideas clearly and in logical ways, both in oral or written formats
- Achievements and relevant experience in and outside of academia 50 – 50 percent
- Distinctions, awards, and scholarships (amount and duration, as well as quality)
- Time-to-delay of previous studies
- The requirements for the program and the courses that are pursued
- Course load
- Standing relative to program (if there is one)
- Academic, professional, and extracurricular activities, as well as collaboration with supervisors, colleagues, students, peers, and other members of the community, for example:
- supervising, mentoring, teaching, or coaching
- managing projects
- Participating in research or science promotion
- Community outreach, volunteer work, or civic involvement
- or coordinating meetings and conferences
- taking part in departmental or institutional societies, associations, organizations, or clubs
Scholarship in Canada for International Students – Carleton Prestige Scholarships
Among the top comprehensive universities in Canada, Carleton University is an innovative, research-driven university committed to providing its students with the best education. Carleton offers 65 different study programs covering journalism, public affairs engineering, high tech, and international studies. The most prestigious awards they receive are their prestige-based scholarships, including 10 Chancellor’s Awards, seven Richard Lewar Entrance Scholarships, three Carleton University Scholarships of Excellence, two Carleton University Shad Valley Scholarships of Excellence, one Riordan Scholarship, and one Collins Prestige Scholarship.
To be eligible for a prestige award, you must take your first step at Carleton as the first person to enter Carleton since the high school level or CEGEP and have not had any previous enrollment in postsecondary educational establishments (college or university). For all prestigious scholarships, you must be admitted with a minimum of 90 percent or higher. The selection committee will evaluate the quality of your secondary or community school-related activities.
How to Apply
- A single application is used to apply for all the prestige scholarships. You can fill it out in a pdf form.
- Students who apply must be admitted with an average of 90% or higher and have demonstrated leadership in their extracurricular activities during their secondary education.
- Students are not required to include other attachments (e.g., resumes, portfolios, photos, certificates, etc.). However, if needed, students want to retype the questions and their answers (this will not count as an attachment). Individuals completing the reference for the student can provide their recommendation as an attachment (only one submission per student will be considered).
- The Prestige Scholarship application can be delivered via mail. The envelope to The Awards Office Carleton University, 202 Robertson Hal, 1125 Colonel By Drive Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6
- Please keep the reference letter in its own enclosed envelope that is sealed within the envelope. The college accepts mailed applications based on the date the Post Office date stamped the package rather than the day it arrives in our office. Please make sure to attach your application as well as your reference letter in 2 separate pdf files in your email. Send them an email a couple of days before the deadline if they encounter problems downloading your application.
Scholarship in Canada for International Students – Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Every year, the Canadian Government gives International Canadian Government Scholarships programs to Canadian or International students who want to travel to Canada and study at top world-class universities. Vanier Canada Graduate Program is one of them.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is one of the Competitive Scholarship programs for Masters leading to Ph.D. or Ph.D. 2023. It is available to International Students and provides 166 scholarships to International Students for a range of Masters leading up to Ph.D. or Ph.D. Degree programs offered by various universities in Canada are designed to provide professional graduates who have been educated academically from all over the world.
This scholarship helps international students to fund their education in Canada in the areas of health research, natural sciences or Engineering Research, Social Sciences, and Humanities Research for three years. The following advantages of Canadian government scholarships.
- The offer is $50,000 per year.
- Funds are offered over three years (non-renewable)
The amount of $50,000 will cover the tuition costs at your university, lodging, and other expenses. Students receive $50,000 each year to cover their education costs.
If you plan to pursue an MS Leading to Ph.D., you may ask your research professor for more assistance. They can provide additional services to international students interested in conducting studies in their area of expertise.
How To Apply For Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
- You must apply for admission to Canadian Universities that have seats/quotas of Vanier( Check here for universities with quotas from Vanier):
- Every university has its deadlines, so it is necessary to inquire with the schools for each university for which you’re applying. The current deadline for this scholarship is 1st November 2022.
- You can apply to a single university to apply for Vanier. The university will assess your profile and recommend you as a Vanier applicant and recommend you to Vanier. Vanier will decide on the eligible participants and winners.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Program is a three-year leadership course designed to develop Engaged Leaders. It equips doctoral students with the knowledge to put their ideas to action for the benefit of the communities they live in, Canada, and the world.
At a minimum, 12 doctoral scholars are selected every year and awarded generous research funding and leadership development within The context of Brave Spaces. The scholarship program assists postgraduate students in researching one or one of the Foundation’s four Topics: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship Canada and the world, and people and their natural Environment.
To apply for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria for eligibility:
- You must be accepted into or in the first year or two of a doctoral study and complete your postgraduate studies by 2025 or earlier.
- Your subject of study is broad in relation to the humanities or other human sciences directly relevant to Canada’s future Canada; (please refer to the FAQ for more information and find out about the previous scholarship recipients)
- Your doctoral dissertation should be a part of at least any of the Foundation’s four themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the People of the World, and their Natural Environment.
- Must be a Canadian citizen enrolled in a Canadian or foreign university or a foreign national (permanent resident of Canada or a foreign national) enrolled in a Canadian institution’s doctoral program.
To apply for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral scholarship, check out their official page for more information.
If you’re an international student looking to study in Canada, the scholarship opportunities here are worth exploring. They offer students with various educational needs access to a world-class education at affordable prices. You can also find a scholarship in Canada for International Students that align with their goals and interests, ensuring you have a successful school experience while giving back.