Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships in Canada, 2021/2022
Table of Contents Hide
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships in Canada, 2021/2022
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships in Canada, 2021/2022
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are now available, and Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and international citizens are all encouraged to apply.
Under the Vanier CGS plan, you may take advantage of this fantastic chance to study for a satisfying and tuition-free Ph.D. in Canada.
Eligibility criteria should be read through carefully.
Brief Description on Vanier CGS
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning.
The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
Level/Field(s) of study:
PhD programs (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) in health research; natural sciences and/or engineering research; and social sciences and/or humanities research
An eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level as a requirement for completion of the program.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) as well as clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant autonomous research component, as described above.
Only Canadian Universities with Vanier CGS allocation can host the scholarship. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
Number of Scholarships
Up to 167, Vanier CGS scholarships are awarded annually to successful candidates who are willing to pursue their academics in the field of study in Canada.
For three years, the scholarships are valued at $50,000 every year. The annual value of each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is $50,000. Annually, up to 166 scholarships are given out.
Who is Eligible for Vanier Canada graduate scholarships?
Only Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating university; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- Have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2022
- Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the university for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian Institution with a quota at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program;
OR the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system.
The nominating institution then forwards recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) by November 2021.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the application form and to know the complete details on how to apply for this scholarship.
Click on the Official Scholarship Link to get more information and commence the application
ResearchNet Application Process: General Information
- In ResearchNet, complete all tasks listed for the Vanier CGS application.
- Preview the Full Application Package version of your application in ResearchNet, using the “Preview Application Materials” task, to ensure that your application is complete.
Note: What you see previewed is exactly how your application will look when submitted electronically to the Canadian nominating institution and to the Vanier CGS program.
- Print the entire application.
- Save the PDF version of the entire, completed application.
- Submit the completed electronic application through ResearchNet by completing the “Consent and Submit Application” task. Note: The nominating institution cannot accept your application until you complete this task.
- For technical help, call 1-888-603-4178 or 613-954-1968 or email [email protected] from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
- For program-related help, please contact [email protected].
Completing a Vanier CGS application
Tips: The following tips may help you in completing your application on ResearchNet. They are tips only; it is the responsibility of the student to submit a complete application:
- Bold text and stars indicate mandatory fields.
- It is important to save any additions or changes before navigating away from the task page(s).
- The status of all tasks must be indicated as complete in order for you to submit your application.
- Students should seek the advice of members of their faculty/department on content-related questions and how best to present the information in the application.
Vanier Canada graduate scholarships Application Deadline
The deadline for this scholarship entry submission is before 2 Nov 2021.